1. Weather: Bring out the umbrellas today, Canton. The National Weather Service is predicting a 100 percent chance of showers today, with thunderstorms possible before 4 p.m. and after 5 p.m. Today's high will be 56 degrees. Tonight's low will be 29 degrees, with a 30 percent chance of showers before 7 p.m.
2. In Case You Missed It: It was a crazy day in the Cherokee County School District Thursday; one crossing guard was struck by a minivan, a hunter was spotted near school property prompting a code red alert, and rumors of weapons at a middle school forced the school to take security measures.
3. Happening Now: The family of slain Canton native R.J. Statler is offering a $3,000 reward for information leading to the man who shot him at a Cartersville car wash. Family and friends of Statler held a vigil for him earlier this week. Come back at 8 a.m. to learn more about Statler and the reward.
4. Looking Ahead: A grand jury has told the Cherokee Board of Commissioners to take more severe action against those involved in the disastrous Bobo/Ball Ground Recycling deal. Read more about the recommendations made by the grand jury at 10 a.m.
The Canton City Council meets tonight. Read this article to get an idea of what's on the agenda and how to watch the meeting remotely if you can't be at City Hall tonight.
5. On This Date in History: On Dec. 20, 1860, South Carolina seceded from the Union, the first state to do so in the wake of the election of Abraham Lincoln. The secession of South Carolina was one of the key events leading to the start of the Civil War in April, 1861.