Morning Briefing: When is the House Runoff Debate?

Here's what's happening in Canton this Friday.

1. Weather: There is a 70 percent chance of rain for Canton before 2 p.m., says the National Weather Service. Otherwise, the temperature today will be a balmy 66 degrees. Tonights low will be 56 degrees, with a 30 percent chance of rain.

2. In Case You Missed It: The Cherokee County Board of Commissioners has approved construction of Etowah River Park, which will bring state of the art baseball fields to Canton. Read this article to discover the timetable for completion of the new park.

The Cherokee Charter Academy will soon go before the Georgia Board of Education and ask for a five-year extension of its charter. Do you think the extension is justified? Tell us in the comments!

3. Happening Now: The weekend is almost upon us, so it's time to start planning excursions now! Canton-Sixes Patch ! Get out there and enjoy the beautiful weather!

4. Looking Ahead: Come back at noon to learn more about the scheduled debate in the House District 21 runoff between Scot Turner and Brian Laurens. .

5. On This Date in History: As a result of increasing border tensions between British and Zulus in South Africa, Sir Henry Bartle Frere illegally issues an ultimatum to the Zulu king with outrageous demands intending to provoke a war. On Jan. 11, 1879, when the ultimatum expired, Sir Henry orders Lord Chelmsford to invade Zululand. This invasion was the start of the Anglo-Zulu War.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »