Here is the text of an e-mail I sent to the regarding the current .
Tonight I will be asking you to table this ordinance. Here are the reasons. I only mention Enterprise because the other two rental places apparently conduct extremely limited rental business. The independent lot near the pump station did not return my call which included an explanation of the purpose of the call. The receptionist at Toyota and the Service Manager she sent me to both said that they did not rent cars.
1. We were led to believe that Enterprise had no problem with the
imposition of the tax. We now know that is not true.
2. We were led to believe that this tax was a common and widespread practice. We now know that is not true.
3. Enterprise is already contemplating a move within the city. We now know that because of this proposal, they are considering moving out of the city to a closeby location that is free of this tax.
1. We now know that there is not a solid, workable plan in place for the effective distribution of this new tax money. It is actually painful to watch the video (on the city website) of Ginger's tentative, uncertain answers to my question's pertaining to the program. Twice she affirms that existing businesses will be eligible to apply for these funds and then admits that there is no plan in place of how to decide who gets what. I even gave her advance notice to expect these questions. Then on the video Gene states that existing businesses will NOT be eligible and that only new businesses will be eligible. Then the debate starts. John even states that "this is a good plan that needs no tweaking" after it is apparent to all that there really IS NO PLAN. Comical! - except that we are debating about how to spend somebody else's money that will be confiscated from them against their will.
2. It is obvious to everybody paying attention that the only plan, if you can call it that, is to impose a new tax, let the money start piling up, and then figure out how to spend it. Is that responsible use of taxpayer's hard earned money?
Thank you for your consideration,