Over a dozen Cherokee County School District schools have been named to the Governor’s SHAPE (Student Health and Physical Education) Honor Roll.
The honor recognizes each of the school's commitment to the health and well-being of Georgia’s students through fitness and nutrition. Nineteen schools in Cherokee were given the honor, which was an increase from 16 on the inaugural list last year.
The Honor Roll program recognizes and rewards the schools, students and teachers that demonstrate excellence on measures of SHAPE participation, data reporting, and student wellness. The Governor’s SHAPE initiative is a statewide program merging governmental, philanthropic and academic and business communities to address childhood obesity.
Statewide, of Georgia’s 2,300 public schools, 51 schools received Gold Medals including seven Cherokee schools; and 41 schools received Silver Medals including 12 Cherokee schools.
Schools also will receive additional prizes ranging from banners to sports equipment based on the medal level they achieved.
The 19 Cherokee County School District schools and their PE and Health teachers who made the recognition possible were recognized by the Superintendent Dr. Frank Petruzielo and the school board during its meeting on Thursday:
- Holly Springs ES STEM Academy:Amanda Anderson and Sharon Peters
- Indian Knoll ES*: Scott Barber and Jason Bermudez
- Knox ES: James Adams and Debbie Buckner
- Macedonia ES: Dr. Steven Herring and Matt Rumble
- E.T. Booth MS*: Phil Dutko, Bill Elliott, Deb Krug, Michael Roga, Leigh Anne Shaw, Jim Spivey and Kim Wilson
- Mill Creek MS*: Thomas Fountain, Eliot Galyean, Matt Harrelson, Jana Osborne, Donna Ross and Dana Townsend
- Woodstock MS*: Jeff Brown, Darrin Clark, Rusty Harrelson, Lynn Kavanaugh and Sam Young
- Ball Ground ES STEM Academy: Jennie Allen
- Boston ES: Rena Ehlers and Scott Lambert
- Carmel ES*: Dr. Reginald Kimball, Deb Krug and Art Vaulk
- Clark Creek ES STEM Academy: Barry Dalton and Chris Sears
- Clayton ES*: Anne Cross
- Hickory Flat ES*: Nell Hess
- Oak Grove ES Fine Arts Academy*: Chris O’Cleary
- Creekland MS: Ray Catlett, Jacob Cheshire, Keith Fountain, Julie McRae, Johnny Rich and Stacy Rich
- Dean Rusk MS*: Janet Roach, Julie Swanson, Steve McGowan and Paul Singer
- Freedom MS*: Karen Baker, Steve Blackwell, Patty Bonk, Laura Dunlap, Brad DuVall and Doug Elliott
- Cherokee HS*: Tonya Carlisle, Matt Cates, Matt Debes, Nick DiGaetano, Matt Ely, Roger Kvam, Josh Shaw and Rob Williams
- Etowah HS: Robert Graner, Billy Hamilton, Rodney Hunter, Chris Pack, Kim Robertson, Greg Robinson, Dave Svehla, Brett Vavra, Buddy Walker and Bob Westbrook
*Denots a school that was also a 2012 honoree