1. Weather: The National Weather Service sees partly sunny skies and a high temperature of 78 degrees in Canton's forecast today. Tonight, expect mostly cloudy skies with a low of 58.
2. In Case You Missed It: The City of Canton has reached a potential settlement with former Police Department sergeant Stacy Bailey concerning her lawsuit which alleged violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Both sides seemed pleased with the settlement, but it will not be official until the Canton City Council approves the financial transaction at tomorrow's meeting.
3. Happening Now: Two road projects that will impact Cherokee County drivers have caused quite a stir on Canton-Sixes Patch. Residents have been commenting on proposed changes on State Road 20 between Canton and Cumming and are giving input on proposed changes to Rucker Road in Alpharetta. Don't hesitate to leave your thoughts in the comments section of each article!
The statewide outdoor burn ban begins today. Read this article to learn why the ban has been established and who you can contact if you have questions on possible exemptions to the ban.
4. Looking Ahead: Come back at 9 a.m. to see the latest restaurant inspection scores for establishments in Canton and across Cherokee County. Find out if your favorite restaurant earned a passing grade during its most recent inspection!
5. On This Date in History: On May 1, 1915, the RMS Lusitania departs New York City for a transatlantic journey that should end in England. Unfortunately for the doomed liner, the German government, embroiled in World War I against England, has declared that any ship sailing towards English waters can be attacked on sight by German submarines. The German submarine U-20 sinks the passenger ship on May 7, killing 1,198 people. The deaths of 128 Americans on board the vessel raises anti-German sentiment in the still-neutral United States.