1. Canton-Sixes Patch's inaugural 'Best Of' poll closes at 9 a.m. today. Take our poll and be sure to tell us why your pick deserves 'Best Of' honors. Currently, La Parrilla Mexican Restaurant is in the lead.
2. Today is Dr. Seuss' birthday, and Georgia First Lady Sandra Deal and State Superintendent John Barge will read to Sixes Elementary School students as part of Read Across America Day. Deal and Barge are expected to arrive at 9:45 a.m., school district spokeswoman Barbara Jacoby said on Thursday. Return to Canton-Sixes Patch later for updates.
3. An unidentified 30-year-old woman was killed Thursday afternoon after a 3-car accident on Marietta Highway at Interstate 575 that left six people injured.
4. The Senate on Wednesday tabled House Resolution 1162, which would allow Georgians to vote in November on a proposed constitutional amendment to restore the state's power to approve and fund charter schools. Meanwhile, Cherokee Charter Academy is facing a $1.3 million budget shortfall due to lower than expected enrollment and lack of available funding.
5. Rep. Mark Hamilton (R-Cumming), the lead author of a bill that has become a flashpoint in the fight for local control of the Cherokee school board, told the Cherokee Tribune late Wednesday that there are plans to make adjustments to House Bill 978. But the Cherokee County School District said it's not certain what those plans will entail.
For all of the coverage, follow these links:
- Monday: Redistricting Bill Concerns Official.
- Tuesday: Amend or Rescind Redistricting Plan.
- Tuesday: Sponsor of Redistricting Plan Speaks.
- Tuesday: Hill Unaware of BOE's Stance.
- Tuesday: Support for Redistricting Fades.
- Wednesday: Redistricting Plan Passes Senate.
- Wednesday: Chapman to Deal: Veto HB 978.
- Thursday: HB 978 Tweak in Works.
- Thursday: BOE Unclear with Hamilton's Plans.
If you have news, events, announcements, photos or videos that you want to share, don't wait on Canton-Sixes Patch to post it for you. Scroll to the bottom of canton-ga.patch.com, look for the "Contribute" header in the bottom right corner, click "Put an event on the calendar" or "Announce something to everyone," fill in all the fields, and your event, announcement, photos and videos will automatically go up on Patch.