Plans to Nix February School Break Scrapped
A day after announcing proposed makeup days, Cherokee makes an amendment.
1. Rejoice, Cherokee County School District! A day after officials announced a tentative plan to makeup missed school days by reducing a weeklong February break, the district reversed the decision Friday. The district still plans to use two previously scheduled furlough days on March 17 and 18 as makeup days.
2. All district-sponsored activities and sports have been canceled this weekend. "This would include facility usage by outside groups (i.e., churches, recreation groups, etc)," Cherokee schools spokeswoman Carrie Budd wrote in an e-mail on Friday.
3. A bevy of new state laws have gone into effect over the past two weeks. Some become effective today. At noon, we'll break down these new laws and how they impact you.
4. Looking to get out of the house this evening? Stop by My Corner Office, 149 Reinhardt College Pkwy., for its open mic night. Talented local spoken word artists, singers and musicians will take the stage at 7 p.m. today. For more information, call 678-493-5506.
5. Don't forget to take your household trash by 2525 Ridge Rd. between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. today. Canton extended the option to residents after the winter storm forced the city to suspend garbage collection this week.