Morning Briefing: Will the Fire Bond Pass?
Here's what's happening in Canton on Tuesday.
1. Weather: The National Weather Service predicts sunny skies for Canton today, with a high temperature approaching 61 degrees. Tonight, expect partly cloudy skies with a low temperature around 35 degrees.
2. In Case You Missed It: A 19-year-old Acworth man and an 8-year-old were killed yesterday afternoon in a traffic collision on Interstate 575 southbound near Chastain Road. The accident turned the interstate into a parking lot for hours. The cause of the wreck is still being investigated.
3. Happening Now: Go to the polls today and decide whether or not the City of Canton's fire bond will be issued! If you're unsure of where to vote, report to the precinct you went to during the presidential election. In case you want to do some more reading on the subject before casting a ballot, check out Canton-Sixes Patch's referendum topic page.
4. Looking Ahead: Come back at 10 a.m. to learn how much the Cherokee County School District's scores on the eighth grade writing assessment have improved. Return again at noon to read about a group of Cherokee High School students who are helping young people half a world away.
5. On This Date in History: On March 19, 1941, the 99th Pursuit Squadron, a part of the United States Army Air Corp, is activated. This squadron is the first all-black fighter unit in the Air Corp. The men selected for the squadron train in Tuskegee, AL, becoming the legendary Tuskegee Airmen, who famously claim to have never lost a bomber under their protection.