Morning Briefing: Why No Debate For Senate District 21?
Here's what's going on in Canton this Friday.
1. Weather: Expect mostly cloudy skies today, with a ten percent chance of showers after 5 p.m. The National Weather Service predicts our high temperature today will be 54 degrees, followed by a low of 38 degrees tonight. There is a 90 percent chance of showers in the area after 7 p.m.
2. In Case You Missed It: A 19-year-old Canton man was struck and killed by a car yesterday morning. Find out what busy intersection the accident occured at and whether or not charges will be filed against the driver by reading this article.
3. Happening Now: Candidates for the Senate seat vacated by Chip Rogers will not be holding a debate prior to the Jan. 8 election. Read this article to find out which candidate or candidates dropped the ball and caused the debate to be rescheduled and then canceled outright.
4. Looking Ahead: Drop by the Cherokee County Justice Center at 2:30 p.m. to witness the swearing-in of Sheriff Roger Garrison. Patch will be there to cover the proceedings. Say hi and pick up a business card!
If you're a fan of swearing in ceremonies, come back at 8 a.m. to see pictures of the seven new associate magistrate judges for Cherokee County at their swearing-in ceremony last week. You'll be surprised to find out how many years of legal experience the seven judges have!
5. On This Date in History: On Dec. 28, 1795, the construction of Yonge (pronounced "young") Street in York, Upper Canada, begins. York is now known as Toronto and Yonge Street is now known as the longest road in the world, spanning from Toronto to Lake Simcoe, Ontario. The two towns are 1,178 miles apart.