Morning Briefing: Why is Dr. P Going to Boston?
Here's what's happening in Canton this Thursday.
1. Weather: The National Weather Service predicts cloudy skies for Canton this Thursday, with a high temperature of 48 degrees. Tonight, the low temperature will drop to around 31 degrees.
2. In Case You Missed It: Cherokee High School's Lady Warriors were ousted from the state basketball tournament by championship contenders Norcross, but still can look back at a tremendous season that saw them win the region championship.
3. Happening Now: Don't miss the Creekview Aeronautics Team's fundraiser at Las Palmas tonight from 5 to 10 p.m.! Creekview students can enter a drawing to win a free model rocket kit. 15 percent of your bill will go towards helping these Grizzlies reach for the skies.
4. Looking Ahead: Canton city council members will be holding meetings this afternoon at City Hall to discuss the city's development code and wastewater treatment facility. Come back at 8 a.m. to get a complete run-down of the discussions.
Why is Cherokee Superintendent of Schools Dr. Frank R. Petruzielo going to Boston to spread the joy of reading to fourth graders? Find out at 2 p.m.!
5. On This Date in History: On Feb. 28, 1953, molecular biologists James Watson and Francis Crick inform their friends that they have discovered the "double-helix" structure of DNA. Their findings will not be published until April 25. In 1962, Watson, Crick and Maurice Wilkins are awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for the discovery of DNA's structure.