Morning Briefing: Who Won Yesterday's Elections?
Here's what's happening in Canton this Wednesday.
1. Weather: The National Weather Service predicts the high for Canton will be 59 degrees today, with partly cloudy skies throughout. There is a 50 percent chance of rain during the day, and a 40 percent chance tonight, when the low temperature is expected to be 51 degrees.
2. In Case You Missed It: The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of a three-week-old baby on Monday morning. No charges have been filed in the case, but an autopsy and toxicology screen are pending. Our coverage of the incident includes some theories authorities have on the baby's death.
Voters came out to the polls in sporadic numbers yesterday to elect new representatives for the House and Senate District 21 seats. One race has been potentially decided; Brandon Beach got 57 percent of votes for the Senate seat.
3. Happening Now: The House District 21 representative remains to be elected; No candidate got the 50 percent plus one majority needed to claim victory. Find out who the two front runners are and when the runoff election is scheduled to take place.
4. Looking Ahead: The fallout from last Thursday's Canton City Council meeting will continue at 8 a.m., when Local Voice Jay Saro demands that three councilmen resign immediately. Don't miss this interesting and thought-provoking read!
5. On This Date in History: On Jan. 9, 1806, Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson is given a state funeral and interred in St. Paul's Cathedral in London. Nelson had been mortally wounded during the Battle of Trafalgar on Oct. 21, 1805, which ensured the safety of the British Isles from an invasion. Nelson's body had to be placed in a cask of Brandy aboard his flagship HMS Victory while the ship was towed to Gibraltar and sent on to England.