Morning Briefing: Who's Cherokee's First Citizen?
Here's what's happening in Canton this Monday.
1. Weather: Rain is likely for today, says the National Weather Service. Although there is a 60 percent chance of heavy rain, the high temperature today should be around 65 degrees. Tonight's low will be around 43 degrees.
2. In Case You Missed It: Recently retired Chief Superior Court Judge Frank C. Mills, III has been named the First Citizen of Cherokee County by the Chamber of Commerce. Read more about this prestigious honor here.
3. Happening Now: During last week's state of the City Address, Mayor Gene Hobgood called for the creation of a "Committee on Canton's Future," which would lay out a development plan for the city lasting to the year 2050. What do you think of the proposal? Read more about it here and leave a comment!
4. Looking Ahead: Come back at 9 a.m. to see the full slate of candidates Mayor Hobgood has proposed to fill various committee positions. The nominations will not be approved until next week's council meeting, and the city council can suggest changes as it sees fit.
5. On This Date in History: On Feb. 11, 1752, Benjamin Franklin opens the first hospital in the future United States. Pennsylvania Hospital still operates in Philadelphia today.