Morning Briefing: What's Next For Canton's Fire Services?
Here's what's happening around town this Wednesday.
1. Weather: The National Weather Service is predicting some isolated sprinkles for Canton between 9 and 11 a.m., but we will still see a high temperature of roughly 61 degrees today. Tonight, expect a low of roughly 30 degrees and wind gusts of up to 20 mph.
2. In Case You Missed It: Canton voters overwhelmingly said no to the fire bond referendum yesterday. The fallout from the no vote has yet to be determined, but the nagging question of how best to provide fire services to the city will have to be re-examined.
A Creekview High School student brought an unloaded handgun on campus Monday, according to authorities. Find out how they were tipped off and how long it took them to discover a Grizzly was abusing his right to bear arms.
3. Happening Now: The Cherokee Sheriff's Office needs your help to find the driver of a Honda Prelude that struck a crossing guard at Freedom Middle School Tuesday afternoon. If you see a silver Honda with a big Tennesee Volunteers "T" on the back window, call 911 immediately!
4. Looking Ahead: The proposed charter school in Forsyth County that would accept children from Cherokee will be hosting a second town hall meeting on Saturday. Find out more about the school and the meeting at noon!
5. On This Date in History: Remember all the talk last year when Apple became the richest company on Earth? A company founded on this date over 400 years ago puts Steve Jobs' progeny to iShame.
On March 20, 1602, the Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie (or Dutch East India Company) was founded to carry out colonial activities in Asia.
The East India Company became arguably the first mega-corporation in history, with the power to wage war and coin money. The company issued an 18% stock dividend for nearly 200 years, and in 1637 became the most valuable company in history. That year, the East India Company was worth 78 million Dutch Guilders, which is roughly equivalent to $7.4 trillion today.