Morning Briefing: What's Happening This Weekend?
Check out the five things you need to know to start your Friday.
1. Weather: The National Weather Service predicts a high temperature of 50 degrees today, with a low tonight of 29 degrees.
2. In Case You Missed It: The Canton City Council met last night, and discussed issues including the mayor's staff and a proposed compensation increase. You can watch a replay of the proceedings here, or check out the agenda and relevant documents from the meeting here.
3. Happening Now: Today is the last day you can vote early for the Jan. 8 special election for the District 21 races in both houses of the General Assembly. Over 700 Cherokee County residents have already punched their ballots early.
4. Looking Ahead: The weekend is almost upon us! Starting at 8 a.m., you can check out our guide to weekend fun and start planning a memorable next few days! I didn't even know we had a swing band out here!
Bring One for the Chipper begins tomorrow! If you haven't yet disposed of your natural Christmas tree, government agencies will be more than happy to take care of it for you, and provide you with free mulch in the process! Read more about this great program here.
5. On This Date in History: On Jan. 4, 1847, gunsmith Samuel Colt sells his first revolver to the U.S. Government. Colt firearms are often heralded as the guns that helped win the West, and have earned an iconic place in American lore.