Morning Briefing: What Did You Give for Christmas?
Here's what's going on in Canton this Wednesday.
1. Weather: There is an 80 percent chance of rain today, especially before 9 a.m., according to the National Weather Service. Today's high temperature will be 49 degrees, with a low tonight of 31 degrees.
2. In Case You Missed It: Outgoing Cherokee County Commissioners Jim Hubbard and Karen Bosch took time out of their days to reflect on their careers in public service and their plans for the future. Will either person consider another chance for public service? Read Hubbard and Bosch's responses exclusively on Patch.
3. Happening Now: If you got a fancy shmancy new smart phone for Christmas, don't forget to download some useful free apps! You can keep tabs on all the amazing Patchy stuff going on in Canton and turn your phone into a magical cheap gas finder! Check out the must-download list of apps here!
4. Looking Ahead: We want to hear from you today, Canton! We are going to run three articles that will hopefully be springboards for some lively discussion and sharing of Christmas-y mirth. First, we want to know what you want to see changed in Cherokee County for 2013. Later, we'll ask you who Canton's Person of the Year was for 2012. Finally, we want to know what gifts you gave you your loved ones yesterday, because it's more about giving than receiving! Check back throughout the day for these interactive articles.
5. On This Date in History: On Dec. 26, 1919, star Boston Red Sox pitcher and outfielder Babe Ruth was sold to the New York Yankees for $100,000. It is often rumored that the deal was made so Red Sox owner Harry Frazee could finance a Broadway play, but it was actually Ruth's temper and demand for a raise that got him sent to the Bronx. The so-called "Curse of the Bambino" lasted until the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004.