Morning Briefing: Should Canton Pay for Economic Development?
Here's what you need to know in Canton this Friday.
1. Weather: It's going to be another wet day in Canton, according to the National Weather Service. Today's high temperature will be 48 degrees, followed by a low tonight of 42 degrees, with more rain incoming.
2. In Case You Missed It: Should the City of Canton contribute funds to help alleviate the Cherokee Office of Economic Development's tight budget? County Commissioner Buzz Ahrens has asked the mayors of seven cities, including Canton's Gene Hobgood, to pitch in to help the office out.
Cherokee County School District high school students achieved an 80 percent pass rate on last year's AP exams, easily surpassing the state and national averages. Read more about the accomplishment here and see how each high school performed.
3. Happening Now: Friday sounds like a good day to stock up on Girl Scout Cookies! Check out the complete list of all cookie sales in Canton and the nearby area in this handy article. What's your favorite flavor?
Are you sick and tired of that ONE pothole that always messes with your commute! Check out the SeeClickFix widget in this article and let city and county officials know about the problem! This is the best way to get problems like potholes and fading lane striping repaired.
4. Looking Ahead: Come back to Canton-Sixes Patch at 1 p.m. to learn about improvements to the city's water system and the related water cutoffs that will be caused by the work. Some of you may be affected!
5. On This Date in History: On Feb. 22, 1959, Lee Petty wins the inaugural Daytona 500. Although Petty's racing career is notable in and of itself, he may be more well-known for being the father of racing legend Richard Petty.