Morning Briefing: Presidential Debate Tonight
Find out what's going on in our neck of the woods this Wednesday.
1. Weather: Although it will be foggy until 9 a.m., the rest of the day will be sunny with highs of 77 degrees, says the National Weather Service. Lows tonight should be around 53 degrees.
2. In Case You Missed It: In a heartwarming tale of "what goes around comes around," a mother who was part of a team that won the jackpot in a popular national game show donated her winnings to the pregnancy center that provided support for her when she was an expecting teenager.
3. Happening Now: Registration to vote in the November presidential election ends on Oct. 9. If you haven't registered, you have less than a week to get it done! Find out all the different ways you can complete your registration at 10 a.m.
Don't forget Fields of Faith returns a week from today! Young people from all walks of life will be converging on Cherokee High School to engage in fun and fellowship. Find out more by reading this announcement created by the event's organizer.
4. Looking Ahead: Today is the big day for you political junkies! At 7 a.m., get a preview of the big presidential debate tonight, and don't forget to join us in our live chat during the proceedings! The fun begins at 9 p.m.
5. On This Date in History: On Oct. 3, 1951, Bobby Thomson of the New York Giants sent Brooklyn Dodger Ralph Branca's second pitch into the left field seats at the Polo Grounds, capping a miraculous season that saw the Giants overcome a 13 1/2 game deficit in the standings in August to win the pennant in the bottom of the ninth inning of the last game of a three-game playoff. "The Shot Heard 'Round the World" was immortalized by Giants play-by-play announcer Russ Hodges' legendary call.