Morning Briefing: Meteor Shower This Weekend
Here's what you need to know before heading out the door on Friday.
1. Weather: The National Weather Service is predicting a high temperature of 71 degrees for Canton today, with sunny skies all day. Tonight, the low will dip to 41 degrees.
2. In Case You Missed It: The Canton City Council met last night and discussed issues including a $51,000 renovation to the Canton Theatre and the use of a bond referendum to pay for the construction of new fire stations. Read the agenda of the meeting, and watch a replay of the proceedings if you weren't able to attend last night.
A nasty virus demanding money to lift a so-called FBI security lock on targeted computers is making the rounds in the digital world. Several Canton residents have already fallen prey to the virus.
3. Happening Now: Patch's Halloween Costume Contest is in full swing! If you have already got your costume ready to go, submit it to our contest for a chance to win $5,000!
4. Looking Ahead: Both of Canton's high school football teams are in action tonight. The Cherokee Warriors will be in Woodstock taking on Etowah, hoping to avoid the fate that befell them when they played Woodstock High School two weeks ago.
The Grizzly Den at Creekview High School will be roaring with excitement tonight as the Grizzlies take on Cambridge. Both games will start at 7:30 p.m. Who has the edge in tonight's matchups? Find out at 8 a.m.!
The Orionids Meteor Shower will peak Saturday night and into Sunday morning. If you haven't seen a meteor shower before, take the time to head into the backyard and take in the view. Find out about the expected weather conditions and learn a little astronomy when the meteor shower article runs at 10 a.m.
5. On This Date in History: On Oct. 19, 202 BC, the forces of Roman general Scipio Africanus decisively defeat the army of Hannibal at the Battle of Zama in northern Africa, ending the Second Punic War.