Morning Briefing: How is Voter Turnout for House Runoff?
Here is what's going on in Canton this Wednesday.
1. Weather: The National Weather Service predicts a high temperature of about 47 degrees for Canton today, with mostly sunny skies. Tonight, the low temperature will be roughly 35, with a 20 percent chance of rain after 1 a.m. Thursday.
2. In Case You Missed It: A grand total of 28 people have voted early for the Feb. 5 runoff election in State House District 21. Elections officials predict that overall turnout for the runoff may be around five percent, compared to the roughly 10 percent turnout seen for the Jan. 8 special election.
3. Happening Now: Local Voice Jeff Brown is concerned that some members of the Canton City Council are attempting to undo the work of private citizens to revitalize the downtown area. Read his thoughts on the situation and weigh in with your own opinion!
4. Looking Ahead: Rec league rats! Come back at 10 a.m. to see the upcoming registrations for some awesome winter and spring sports at the Cherokee Recreation and Parks Agency! Get those registrations in early and avoid near-deadline hassles!
5. On This Date in History: On Jan. 23, 1556, the deadliest earthquake in human history befell Shaanxi Province, China. The 8.0 magnitude quake killed an estimated 830,000 people, three to four times the number of deaths caused by the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami.