Morning Briefing: How Did Our Students Do on AP Exams?
Here's what's happening in Canton this Thursday.
1. Weather: The National Weather Service expects a dry morning and afternoon in Canton, but the rain will be coming down in buckets after 10 p.m. Today's high will be 58 degrees, followed by a low tonight of 42 degrees.
2. In Case You Missed It: Matthew Tamanini, the Creekview High School teacher accused of having sexual relations with a student, has been indicted for sexual assault of a person in custody by the Cherokee County Grand Jury. If convicted, Tamanini faces 10 years in prison.
3. Happening Now: The new aquatic center being built in Holly Springs is already looking for life guards and swimming instructors. Find out how you can apply and get in on the ground floor at this state of the art facility!
4. Looking Ahead: Come back at 10 a.m. to find out how well Cherokee County high schoolers did on their AP exams in 2012. You won't be surprised to learn that they blew the doors off the state and national averages yet again.
5. On This Date in History: On Feb. 21, 1916, the German Army's attempt to "bleed France white" begins at Verdun. 808 artillery pieces begin a 10-hour bombardment at 7:15 a.m. intended to destroy French defenses in the area and wear down the French Army with a battle of attrition. Although the Germans make surprising gains in the first few days of the battle, the French recover and battle the invaders for ten months, losing approximately half a million men in the process. The Germans lose roughly the same amount of men, making the Battle of Verdun one of the costliest in world history.