Morning Briefing: How Bad Is the Flu This Year?
Here's what's happening in Canton this Wednesday.
1. Weather: There is a 60 percent chance of rain today, says the National Weather Service. Expect a high temperature of 54 degrees, with a low tonight of 39 degrees, with a 60 percent chance of rain after 1 a.m. Thursday.
2. In Case You Missed It: The bicyclist who was struck by a truck earlier this month has died from his injuries. Read what some of his friends are planning to help commemorate his life.
Two Cherokee County Zaxby's were attacked with malicious software that may have stolen customers' identities. If you visited either of these stores and paid with a card, be extra vigilant against identity theft.
3. Happening Now: Publix is recalling some brands of chicken jerky dog treats because of differences in standards between the US and Chinese manufacturers. Get the low down on the brands being recalled and learn which specific brand is being blamed for sickening and killing dogs.
4. Looking Ahead: This year's flu season has been much worse than in previous years. Come back at 10 a.m. to find out from an Alpharetta doctor just how bad it has been in Georgia.
5. On This Date in History: On Jan. 16, 1547, Ivan IV Grozny becomes Czar of All the Russias. "Grozny" means "fearsome," but is often translated to "terrible," hence the famous epithet Ivan the Terrible. Ivan, whose childhood pastimes involved throwing cats off the roof of the Kremlin, would help transform Russia from a loose confederation of city-states to a burgeoning regional power that would eventually become a major imperial player in later centuries.