Morning Briefing: Help for Sandy's Victims
Find out how you can help our northern neighbors and what's going on closer to home this Friday.
1. Weather: Sunny skies and a high temperature of 68 degrees are on tap for Canton today, according to the National Weather Service. There could be wind gusts up to 15 mph today. Tonight's low should be around 40.
2. In Case You Missed It: Local Voice Elizabeth Hooper voiced her concerns about the potential passage of the charter school amendment, fearing that the measure would allow for-profit companies to privatize public education and line the pockets of CEOs. Do you disagree with this assessment? Let us know in the comments!
The Canton City Council met Thursday night, and discussed the proposal to bring fire service fees to the city to pay for the operations of three new fire stations. Read the full recap of the meeting and the surprising proposals made regarding elected officials at 8 a.m.
3. Happening Now: Did you take lots of pictures of your costume for Halloween? Submit them to Patch's Best Halloween Costume in America Contest and you could walk away with $5,000! The deadline to enter has been extended to Nov. 5, but don't dawdle!
4. Looking Ahead: We all want to help our friends up north who are recovering from the impact of Hurricane Sandy. At 10 a.m., read how giving a helping hand could be as easy as visiting a local grocery store.
5. On This Date in History: On Nov. 2, 1932, the Australian government declared "war" on emus, sending soldiers armed with machine guns to the western part of the country in an attempt to manage the population of the large, flightless bird.