Morning Briefing: Grand Jury Looks at RRDA
Here's what you need to know before heading out on Thursday morning.
1. Weather: The National Weather Service expects mostly sunny skies over Canton today, with a high near 86 degrees. Tonight's low is expected to dip down to about 61.
2. In Case You Missed It: Cherokee County School District had the best SAT scores in the state of Georgia last year, narrowly edging out Fulton County. Cherokee also bested the national average in SAT scores.
3. Happening Now: The Cherokee Democratic Party is hosting a candidate rally at The Fork and Tavern at 190 E. Main St. in Canton tonight at 6:30. The candidates in attendance are battling for the recently re-drawn 11th Congressional District, currently held by incumbent Republican Phil Gingrey.
4. Looking Ahead: A grand jury in Cherokee County has decided to continue it's investigation of the Resource Recovery Development Authority and determine how the county ended up having to pay off the bonds that funded Ball Ground Recycling, LLC. Read more about the decision at 11:00 a.m.
5. On This Date in History: On Sept. 27, 1941, SS Patrick Henry was launched. She was the first of over 2,700 Liberty Ships built by the U.S. before and during World War II.