Morning Briefing: Do You Recognize This Burglar?
Here's what's going on in Canton this Friday.
1. Weather: The high temperature for the Canton area will be around 38 degrees today, says the National Weather Service. Tonight's low will be roughly 22 degrees. Mostly clear skies are expected throughout the day.
2. In Case You Missed It: A Canton man has been arrested on suspicion of shooting his brother-in-law during a dispute on Lakeview Drive Wednesday afternoon. Canton-Sixes Patch has the names of the victim and suspect, and a mugshot of the alleged shooter.
3. Happening Now: Today is the last day you can vote early for Tuesday's runoff election for House District 21 between candidates Scot Turner and Brian Laurens. Here are the details of how you can make your voice heard in advance.
The Cherokee Sheriff's Office needs your help to identify an alleged burglar and his van. The man is suspected of two attempted burglaries on Thursday morning. Anyone who recognizes the man or the van is urged to call the Sheriff's Office.
4. Looking Ahead: Come back at noon and let us know if you think that Georgians between the ages of 18 and 21 who complete military basic training should be allowed to get a firearms carry permit. The new legislation has been proposed by Sen. Barry Loudermilk, who represents part of Cherokee County.
5. On This Date in History: On Feb. 1, 1709, Scottish sailor and privateer Alexander Selkirk is rescued from four years of solitude on a deserted island 400 miles off the coast of Chile. The rescue of Selkirk, who refused to continue sailing on an unsafe vessel and was marooned, inspired Daniel Defoe to write the classic tale Robinson Crusoe.