Morning Briefing: County's 2013 Budget Out
Here's what's going on in our neck of the woods this Tuesday.
1. Weather: Today's high should be around 73 degrees. The National Weather Service predicts sunny skies all day and through the evening in Canton. Tonight's low temperature will be around 47.
2. In Case You Missed It: Reinhardt College will be hosting a "Dig Pink" volleyball match and "Pink Out" in the stands tonight to raise funds and awareness for breast cancer research. Find out how you can get involved.
Need to get your yearly breast health checkup? In 2010, nearly 35 percent of Cherokee County women hadn't gotten a mammogram in the past year. There are many local resources available to you to make sure you're breast cancer free.
3. Happening Now: Are you or your kids planning on blowing the doors off the traditional Halloween costume? Submit your costumes to Patch's Best Halloween Costume in America Contest and there may just be $5,000 in it for you!
4. Looking Ahead: Two big political events are happening tonight, on the local and national stages. President Barack Obama and Senator Mitt Romney face off in their second debate tonight, and Patch will be live streaming the debate and providing a forum for users to comment on the debate as it happens. Find out more at 8 a.m.
Closer to Canton, the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners will be reviewing the fiscal year 2013 budget at their afternoon work session. Read the rundown of the budget and why it is being calculated differently than in years past at 10 a.m.
5. On This Date in History: On Oct. 16, 1859, militant abolitionist John Brown raided and seized the Federal Arsenal in Harpers Ferry, VA (now WV) in hopes of sparking a general slave rebellion. The raid was quashed by a detachment of U.S. Marines led by a colonel by the name of Robert E. Lee.