Morning Briefing: Commissioner-Elect Ineligible?
Here's what you need to know in Canton this Thursday.
1. Weather: The National Weather Service is predicting a high temperature of 77 degrees today, under mostly clear skies. It's expected that the patchy fog should burn off by 11 a.m. Tonight, the low is expected to dip to 54 degrees.
2. In Case You Missed It: A group of Cherokee County citizens is arguing that Commissioner-Elect Brian Poole is ineligible to hold office due to not paying sales taxes in Alabama. The Cherokee Board of Elections has agreed to hold a meeting on Poole's eligibility next week.
3. Happening Now: Have you gotten your Halloween costume ready yet? Take a picture of it and submit it to the Patch Best Halloween Costume in America contest! You could win $5,000 or other great prizes.
4. Looking Ahead: The fungal meningitis outbreak has reached Georgia. Discover where the patient is from and ways you can protect yourself from the disease at 10 a.m.
Attorney Eric A. Ballinger has begun a series of articles on the workings of the Georgia constitution and precisely how it is amended. Read this article now, or wait for it to be the top spot on the home page at 8 a.m.
5. On This Date in History: On Oct. 25, 1854, as part of the Battle of Balaklava during the Crimean War, a British cavalry brigade was ordered to recover captured British naval guns but instead charged headlong into a Russian artillery battery through the "Valley of Death" in the "Charge of the Light Brigade," an event immortalized by Tennyson's poem.