Morning Briefing: Columbus Day
Here's what's going on in Canton this Monday.
1. Weather: There is a 40 percent chance of showers in our area from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. The high temperature today will be 62 degrees, and tonight's low will be 46 degrees.
2. In Case You Missed It: A Canton man who was involved in a domestic dispute and threatening suicide was shot and killed by Cherokee County Sheriff's Office deputies after he refused to drop his weapon.
3. Happening Now: Today is Columbus Day. Banks will be closed and the Postal Service will not be running today. However, Cherokee County Schools are in session.
The seasonal outdoor burning ban was lifted at the start of the month. Cherokee County residents who wish to burn hand-gathered natural vegetation will be allowed to do so after they acquire a burn permit. Please read this article to learn more about getting a permit.
4. Looking Ahead: The Cherokee County School District's newest school got the official ribbon-cutting treatment on Thursday. Find out what's so special about this new school and when Canton can expect to bust out the big scissors at 7 a.m.!
5. On This Date in History: On Oct. 8, 1982, the Broadway musical Cats made its debut. The show ran for 18 years and is regarded as one of the greatest musicals of all time.