Morning Briefing: Best Scarecrows in Canton!
Here's what's going on in our neck of the woods this Tuesday.
1. Weather: Mostly sunny skies await Canton today, with a high temperature of 55 degrees expected by the National Weather Service. Tonight's low will be in the neighborhood of 33. Gusty winds will be common throughout the day, so please drive carefully.
Our little wind issues don't compare to the shellacking the Northeast is taking from Hurricane Sandy. Patches up and down the coast are providing excellent coverage of the mega-storm and how its affecting their local communities. Check out Ocean City, NJ Patch for an example of how our colleagues up north are braving the elements to get the story out.
2. In Case You Missed It: A lawsuit was filed in Fulton Superior Court yesterday seeking an injunction on the Nov. 6 vote on the charter school amendment. The complaint alleges that Gov. Nathan Deal used misleading language in both the ballot preamble and the ballot question itself. Vote in our poll and tell us what you think.
3. Happening Now: It's almost time for Halloween! Have you tried on your costume yet? Snap a couple of pictures of you in your costume and submit them to Patch's Best Halloween Costume Contest! The grand prize winner will get $5,000 for their trouble! Entries are already coming in, so don't dawdle!
4. Looking Ahead: Speaking of costumes, are you still stumped about what to go as? We will have a guide for some easy, inexpensive and quality last-minute costumes for you and the kids at 10 a.m.
5. On This Date in History: On Oct. 30, 1942, sailors from the Royal Navy boarded the sinking Nazi U-boat U-559 and retrieved the submarine's Enigma machine and code books, greatly aiding the Allied forces in their efforts to crack the German naval code and turn the tide of the Second Battle of the Atlantic.