For Moms, By Moms
Find out what's happening in Canton-Sixes today.
1. Canton-Sixes Patch will roll out a number of new features today written by local moms, for local moms. Tammy Bester, a Canton mom, kicks things off at 6 a.m. with Frugal Family, which is full of deals for the family. At 10 a.m., she'll tell you about all the local places to take the children with our Grab & Go Kids Planner. Then at noon, she'll introduce you to our first Whiz Kid. At 1 p.m., let your voice be heard during our Moms Talk Q&A. Jenny Howard will start the dialogue, then help you plan your Valentine's Day weekend (sans the kids) with the Great Escape at 4 p.m. Please participate in the discussions on our site today. And if you have suggestions on how we can improve our parenting content, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Three juveniles face charges of terroristic threats and criminal trespass after authorities said they spray painted a swastika and other racist symbols on a home in Hickory Flat's Middlebrooke subdivision. According to an incident report, Anthony Zain received a call from a neighbor on Jan. 10. The neighbor told Zain, who is African-American, that there were obscenities on his garage doors. Cherokee County Sheriff's Office officials didn't name the suspects, who were arrested on Monday. Lt. Jay Baker said they lived near the Middlebrooke subdivision and have been released to their parents.
3. Today is Tornado Safety Day in Georgia. Cherokee County, Gov. Nathan Deal and the Georgia Emergency Management Agency (GEMA) want residents to be prepared. The National Weather Service will issue a statewide tornado drill at 9 a.m. At that time, GEMA asks that households identify a place for shelter. The Cherokee Sheriff's Office Division of Emergency Management will transmit a warning message via e-mail, Twitter and Facebook.
4. It's also National Stop Bullying Day. Bullying is the theme of the February edition of The Pride's View, Liberty Elementary's newspaper. The paper will be published at the end of the month. V-103's Ryan Cameron will stop the music from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday and host a town hall meeting on the topic. Join the conversation tonight on WVEE-FM 103.3.
5. Winter weather is expected to hit Cherokee County on Wednesday night, according to the National Weather Service. Rain and snow mixtures will turn to snow only after 1 a.m.