1. In the wake of a March 15 traffic stop involving City Manager Scott Wood, the Canton Police officer who pulled him over resigned on Wednesday. For details, read the story entitled "Chief: Good Officer Took Beating."
2. There may be additional fallout as a result of the traffic stop. At 4 p.m. today, the Canton City Council will hold a special called meeting at City Hall. "It will principally be an executive session to discuss a personnel matter," Mayor Gene Hobgood told Canton-Sixes Patch on Wednesday. "It may be other matters involving the police department as well."
3. Got questions about the transportation referendum on the July 31 ballot? Head to the Cherokee County Administration Building and Conference Center at 7:30 a.m. today and hear from Atlanta Regional Commission transportation planning division chief Jane D. Hayse and Cherokee County Board of Commission Chairman Buzz Ahrens. For reservations and other details, go to the Canton-Sixes Patch calendar and search for "Got Questions About TSPLOST?"
4. Two Cartersville men have been arrested in connection with Monday's scrap metal theft at Morrison Products, 169 Etowah Industrial Court, said Sgt. Stacy Bailey, the spokeswoman for the Canton Police Department. Keith Elliott James, 45, and Jimmy Smith 57, were charged with felony theft by taking, felony criminal attempt and felony possession of tools for the crime of theft by taking. Keith was also charged with with misdemeanor possession of marijuana less than one ounce.
5. Cherokee County Board of Education Vice-Chairwoman Janet Read has announced that she will run for chair, according to a report on Holly Springs-Hickory Flat Patch. Last week, Danny Dukes of the Georgia Charter Educational Foundation announced the formation of an exploratory committee to weigh the pros and cons of a campaign for the seat.
Bonus: Dick's Sporting Goods in Canton remains in the lead in this week's Readers' Choice poll. To make the poll a little more interesting, we're going to pick one winner for Woodstock-Towne Lake Patch, Holly Springs-Hickory Flat Patch and Canton-Sixes Patch combined. You have until 9 a.m. Friday to vote for your favorite sporting goods store—and for town pride. Remember: We give equal weight to votes and comments. Be sure to do both.
If you have news, events, announcements, photos or videos that you want to share, don't wait on Canton-Sixes Patch to post it for you. Scroll to the bottom of canton-ga.patch.com, look for the "Contribute" header in the bottom right corner, click "Put an event on the calendar" or "Announce something to everyone," fill in all the fields, and your event, announcement, photos and videos will automatically go up on Patch.